Share on Social Media:
By Matt Hines, VP of Marketing at CipherCloud & Neeraj Nayak, Sr. Product Marketing Manager at CipherCloud
Summary: New research underlines the fact that more people will likely prefer to work from home, even when the pandemic passes. Security models that better address cloud apps, mobility, and BYOD will clearly need to evolve to address related data protection.
While the world continues to grapple with COVID-19, one security-related trend has emerged with nearly 100% certainty – higher numbers of remote workers are very likely here to stay.
According to a new report published by insurance giants Chubb, a vast majority of people shifted to the home office because of COVID-19 are hoping to increase remote office hours, even when the situation has abated. Of the 1,200-plus individuals interviewed, 74 percent indicated that they want to continue working from home even when the pandemic subsides.
At the same time, the report finds that the situation is triggering both real and perceived discomfort, from issues of physical posture [41 percent are experiencing increased pain in their shoulders, wrists, and backs] to matters of security posture [roughly 50 percent are worried about increased exposure to cyber-attacks, including some 11 percent who report that they’ve already been targeted].
Perhaps more disconcerting is the 50 percent of those surveyed NOT concerned about increased cyber risk. This is underlined by the fact that a majority of participants said that they conduct some business from personal, unmanaged devices. Add these factors with the reality that many workers are using such devices to utilize cloud services and it’s clear that related security implications are serious.
The days of traditional security solutions such as VPNs and SSLs have already been fading fast in the rearview mirror, especially as they were never designed to support a massive remote workforce, they are similarly ill-equipped to protect cloud-mobile-remote environments.
In general, organizations have to consider the current scenario with a renewed perspective driven by facts including:
In short, to address the increase in remote workers, enterprises must…. focus on securing the human and data elements!
To enable tighter visibility and control over the remote workforce and secure collaboration, organizations must concentrate on data-centric and human-centric security – primarily to secure the users’ cloud and data access from any location on any device with zero-trust access controls. A few of the keys to this approach include:
As COVID-19 continues to play out, it would seem that we’ll see an even greater emphasis on cloud security issues that elevate the value of dedicated solutions such as CipherCloud CASB+. The Chubb report highlights trends that we have been talking about for many years.
To get a snapshot of related product capabilities, check out this video.
And in the meantime, try to stay safe, and maybe consider fewer trips to the kitchen, as Chubb reports that 42 percent of us are snacking more. Honestly, I think that’s a misleading figure. Either that or my hat is really off to the other 58 percent!
OR CALL 1-855-524-7437